This article is the second in the QuickBooks Desktop Connector (QDC) series, and will walk you through both General Information about QDC and specific information about using QDC to sync Customers, Assays, Invoices, and Payments.
QDC allows for unidirectional syncing from QBench to QuickBooks Desktop, and is designed assuming QBench will be your master place of record. While you can update data on your Customers, Service Items, Invoices, etc. in QuickBooks, this information will be overwritten with whatever data is in QBench on the next sync (though some of this functionality can be disabled for Customers -- see the Customers Addresses section).
- Synced fields cannot have special characters (e.g. ñ, á)
- Only up to 30 characters of a syncable field will be synced to QuickBooks. If a field has more than 30 characters in it, the synced data will be truncated at 30 characters
- In order to sync Assays, Invoices, and Payments, the company file must have an account (in your chart of accounts) where service items can be saved to called “Sales”, and service items titled "Subtotal" and "QBENCH_ITEM".
- Only certain core fields can be synced via QDC at this time. A detailed listing is available here under "How it Works" or read on for more details. No additional fields are supported
- QDC syncs data from QBench to QuickBooks, but not vice versa. Changes made to a Customer, Assay, Panel, Invoice, or Payment in QuickBooks will NOT sync to the corresponding item in QBench
Once QDC has been enabled in your instance, you will see the following four new core fields in Fields and Data Types for Customers, Assays, Panels, Invoices, and Payments (“objects”). NOTE: not all fields are used by the integration, the Quickbooks Desktop ID field will never be blank if an object has successfully synced, the other fields may or may not be blank:
- QuickBooks Desktop ID - the internal ID generated by QuickBooks for the object
- QuickBooks Desktop Edit Sequence - the token that verifies the integrity of this object within QuickBooks
- QuickBooks Desktop Last Synced - updates each time the specific object is synced from QBench. After the initial sync, QDC synced changes made to object after the timestamp in Last Synced
- QuickBooks Desktop Response Log - captures messages from QuickBooks after a sync has been completed. If a sync fails or object does not update, an error message will appear in this field
These read-only fields do not need to be displayed to use QDC, but can provide useful information for troubleshooting in the event a sync fails. The Troubleshooting section in the Setting Up QuickBooks Desktop Connector article refers to data in these fields.
When a new Customer is created or updated in QBench, QDC will sync the following information about the Customer to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Zip / Postal
- Invoicing Notes
- Email addresses of contacts that have "Receive Billing Email" checked.
If you have multiple Customers with the same name in QBench, be aware that QuickBooks does not support multiple Customers with the same name. As mentioned in the previous article, we encourage QDC users to turn on Enforce Unique Customer Name in the QBench General Settings while using QDC.
Due to how QuickBooks processes Customer addresses, certain addresses may be formatted incorrectly when they are synced to QuickBooks.
- Addresses of less than 30 characters that are entered in the "Address" field will be formatted correctly
- If an Address includes "City", "State", "Zip / Postal", or "Country" entries, data in non-"Address" fields may be duplicated
If your Customer addresses are not appearing correctly in QuickBooks, you may check the "Do not sync address to QuickBooks" option per Customer, which will allow you to format your Customer's address in QuickBooks without the data being overwritten by address information stored in QBench.
QDC syncs the following information about Assays to QuickBooks Desktop:
Not currently supported.
QDC will sync the following information about newly created or updated Invoices in the "APPROVED" or “INVOICED” status (or custom "APPROVED" or "INVOICED" statuses) to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Invoice Date
- Invoice Due Date
- For each line item:
- Item Name
- Total Invoice amount
If any Assay or other line item has an in-line Discount or Surcharge, the total amount after the Discount or Surcharge is synced over to QuickBooks. Information about what Discounts or Surcharges that were applied appear in the line item in QuickBooks.
Standalone Discounts and Surcharges are synced to QuickBooks as service items. The amount for each of these services items is also the total amount displayed in QBench after the Discount or Surcharge is applied; as such, the same percentage Discount or Surcharge will create different service items in QuickBooks if the dollar amount of the Discount or Surcharge varies between Invoices.
When a Payment is applied to at least one Invoice, QDC will sync the following information about the Payment to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Payment Amount
- Payment Date
- Check #