- Location types can be used to create a reusable template that automatically creates sub-locations. An example scenario where you would want to use a Location Type is a freezer rack that has 16 slots (i.e. sub-locations) within it as shown in the figure below.
To Create a location type, click on Configuration, then Lab, and finally Locations. Click on All.
2. This will open a new page with the list of any existing locations. Click the Gear Icon then Location Types.
3. A new page will open with a list of any existing location types. Click on + New Location Type.
4. This will open a new page where you can enter information about this new location type. Note that you must include a name associated with this location type in order to create it.
- In Number of Slots, you can select the number of slots you would like to automatically be created for this Location Type when it is used. For example, if this Location Type is a Freezer, the slots can be shelves within the freezer. So when instances of this freezer are created individual slot locations will automatically be created based on the specified number of slots.
- You can also select whether the slots are Movable Slots or not by ticking the box next to Movable Slots. If the slots are movable, you can move them to another location or remove them from the current location type. For example, you can move the entire contents of a freezer shelf to another shelf or another freezer. However, if the location is a plate and the slots represent wells, the slots cannot be moved.
- In Parent Location Type, you can select a hierarchical location type in which the new location type reside. For example, a freezer shelf location type can have a freezer location type as a parent location type.
5. After creating a new location type and clicking the Save button, the page will reload with new tabs. You can edit previous information on the Details page. You can also name each slot on the Slot Naming tab.
- If the slots are movable you can also select a location type for each slot. For example, if you select Freezer for each slot location type then you will be able to move the contents of a freezer slot to any other instance of a freezer. (e.g Freezer 1 Slot 1 can be moved to Freezer 5)
6. After clicking Save, you can click Location Types to go back to the list of all existing location types.