- Enabling the Feature
- Control Groups
- Assigning a Control Group to an Assay
- Applying a Control Group to a Batch
- Control Usage Results
A Control is a known value that you can run alongside unknown Samples. You can include a Control in a Batch along with Samples and Tests.
- Control Permissions
- Control Additional Fields
Enabling the Feature
Navigate to Configuration > Application > General in the nav bar.
Under the "Modules" section, check the "Controls" checkbox. Note: Batches must be enabled for Controls to be enabled.
Controls will appear in the nav bar under Configuration > Lab > Controls
A Control will be added to a batch when its Control Group is added to the batch and is used to track the usage of the control over time and across Batches.
Control Data Fields
Control Data Fields is a group of Control Data Points that the lab will use to capture data on the Control when it is being used on a Batch.
Control Data Points
A Control Data Point is a single point of data that is used to capture Control data when the Control is used on a Batch.
- Entry Name: Name of the data point. The Entry Name must be unique within the context of the Data Field that it is related to. Entry Name is case sensitive.
- Entry Type: There are 3 different ways to enter data into the Data Point:
- Manual Entry: Use this option if you would like to manually enter a value into the Control Data Point from the Batch.
- Copy From Worksheet By Cell Name: Use this option if you would like to have this Data Point be auto populated from the Batch Spreadsheet by Cell (e.g. B5).
- Copy From Worksheet By Field Name: Use this option if you would like to have this Data Point be auto populated from the Batch Spreadsheet by Field Name (e.g. "input_1").
- Worksheet Cell: If you have selected Copy From Worksheet By Cell Name or Copy From Worksheet By Field Name as your Entry Type, you must enter in a value here to determine where the data should be copied from.
If you have the Inventory module enabled in QBench, there will be an "Inventory Item" tab on the Control detail page where you can assign Inventory Items whose stock will be required to be used when the the Control is added to a Batch.
If you have the "Quantity" field enabled for Inventory Stock, there will be a "Default Quantity" column in the Inventory Item table where you can set a default quantity of stock to be used when this Control is added to a Batch.
A Control Group is a way of grouping Controls that you would like to have assigned to a Batch.
Assigning a Control Group to an Assay
A Control Group can be assigned to an Assay. When an Assay is assigned to a Batch, if the Assay has a Batch Control Group on it, that Control Group will be automatically assigned to the Batch.
Note: This field is hidden by default and must be shown in the Fields and Data Types before it can be used.
Note: If a Control has Inventory Items assigned on it, when a Control Group is auto assigned to a Batch through an Assay, the Control Group will still need to be manually assigned because the user must still select which Stocks to used for this Control. However, it will be selected for you in the dropdown.
Applying a Control Group to a Batch
On the Batch detail page, you can click on the "Controls" tab and select a Control Group to assign to this Batch.
If you have Inventory enabled, and if the Controls on the Control Group have Inventory Items assigned, you must select Inventory Stock before the Control Group is assigned to the Batch. Note: QBench will auto select some Stock for you, however you might still need to select some stock manually.
After the Control Group is assigned to the Batch, a table will appear in the Controls tab displaying all the different Controls from the Control Group and all the Data Fields and Data Points from each Control.
Observe that the Data Points that have been configured with Entry Types of Copy From Worksheet By Cell Name or Copy From Worksheet By Field Name will be read only fields and their data will be copied from the Worksheet on the Batch.
Control Usage Results
On the Control detail page, there is a tab called "Results" where you can view the different values that this control has had over time.
- Inventory Stocks used on the Controls
- Equipment used on the Batch that the Controls are related to